When you first hear your dog has been diagnosed with cancer, no matter the type, you can feel a pit in the bottom of your stomach. I know, I’ve felt it, when my 9-year-old Corgi was diagnosed. Back then, traditional treatments were the most discussed, while alternative treatments were left in the dark. Fortunately, now we are learning more about how alternative therapies, like herbs for dogs with cancer, can help… especially for dogs resistant to conventional therapies.
Beneficial Herbs for Dogs with Cancer
Although there are quite a few, we have narrowed it down to a handful of herbs. Of course, you can do more research if you want to learn what others are doing out there. But these are the most prominent ones we want to share with you.
- Echinacea: Research has found that echinacea increases the quantity of white blood cells in the body.
- Astragalus: This herb has immune- boosting properties along with compounds that help reduce the risk of melanoma.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms have been part of Chinese medicine for centuries for the treatment of cancer and other ailments. Mushrooms, including Reishi, Shiitake, and Maitake mushrooms, stimulate white blood cells and help fight oxidation and inflammation.
- Alkylglycerols: Breast milk, bone marrow, liver, and spleen contain alkylglycerols. They help with the formation of white blood cells and antibodies to fight against foreign bodies.
- Mangosteen: Mangosteen contains potent antioxidants called xanthones. And, it also possesses COX inhibitor properties. In other words, it helps reduce inflammation and fights cancer cells.
- Garlic: Garlic has immune-boosting properties and can slow down cancer growth.
- Turmeric: Curcumin, in turmeric, suppresses the growth and spread of cancer cells, stops brain tumors from forming, and helps reduce mast cells by reducing inflammation in the body.
Vitality Mushrooms for Dogs
This medicinal mushroom formula was designed to help support dogs dealing with cancer, autoimmune disease, liver issues and respiratory issues.
Considering a Holistic Veterinarian
When facing the overwhelming challenge of canine cancer, considering a holistic veterinarian can offer a comprehensive approach that bridges traditional medicine with alternative therapies. Holistic veterinarians view the animal as a whole, focusing not just on the disease but also on the overall health and well-being of the pet.
This perspective allows for treatments that address both the physical symptoms of cancer and the emotional stress it may impose. Holistic therapies, which can range from herbal medicine to acupuncture, are often aimed at boosting the immune system, reducing side effects of traditional treatments, and improving quality of life.
Holistic veterinarians prioritize a strong pet-owner relationship, ensuring that treatments align with the owner’s beliefs and the pet’s comfort.
By blending the best of both worlds, holistic veterinary care can provide a well-rounded, compassionate approach to managing canine cancer.
Incorporating Herbs Into Your Dog’s Routine
Incorporating herbs into your dog’s cancer treatment regimen can offer a complementary approach that uses nature’s healing properties. These natural remedies, backed by centuries of traditional use and an increasing body of scientific research, may offer benefits ranging from boosting immunity to alleviating some side effects of conventional treatments.
To learn more about this topic, check these out:
Evaluation of Effectiveness of Herbal Medication in Cancer Care: A Review Study – PMC
Herbs and Spices in Cancer Prevention and Treatment – Herbal Medicine – NCBI Bookshelf
Review article Recent advance of herbal medicines in cancer- a molecular approach